Tempeh Bacon Recipe
Most Vegans and Vegetarians who have left meat behind still crave the taste of bacon… Enjoy Tempeh Bacon!
Tempeh Bacon Fills the Void
all according to Healthy Happy Life
5 ounces tempeh (2/3 a standard 8 ounce pack)
1-2 Tbsp maple or agave syrup
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin
a dash of cayenne
1 tsp liquid smoke (opt’l)
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp thick black pepper
for pan: 2 tsp olive oil
*if you don’t have liquid smoke use these BBQ spice combos:
(garlic, pepper, paprika and onion)
- Very thinly slice the tempeh.
- As thin as you can slice it without it falling apart.
- Combine all ingredients in a shallow dish.
- Soak tempeh in marinade for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn saute pan on high, add 1-2 tsp olive oil. Lay the tempeh flat on skillet. One layer only. Drizzle a bit of excess marinade onto skillet-it should be sizzling a lot now.
- Allow to cook for 1 minute, then flip. Allow to cook for another minute on other side-or until both sides are crisp and browned.
- Lay cooked tempeh bacon on parchment paper to cool. Sprinkle with black pepper and thick sea salt to taste.
- For a crisper tempeh bacon, do not pour excess marinade in skillet, and allow all liquid to steam off of pan while cooking.
Serve Your Tempeh Bacon.